Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe II
Here's another low carb meatloaf recipe that I hope you will enjoy. It's a little more effort, and it's definitely high calorie and totally decadent, but I think the results are worth it.
Ellen's Decadent Low Carb Meatloaf
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup shredded (not dry grated) Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, minced in food processor.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 2 Tablespoons butter for sautéing
- 8 ounces chopped white onion (measure by weight)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped fine*
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves*
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 T Ellen's Low Carb Barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 pounds 85% ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
*dried spices can be used in half amounts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 x 15 glass baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- In a small deep bowl, whisk almond flour and Parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and cheddar cheese together. You want to get to a spreadable texture.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper; sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients. Once the mixture is cooled enough, run through a food processor for several seconds to mince the vegetables to fine consistency.
- In another small deep bowl, whisk eggs with spices, salt, pepper, mustard, BBQ sauce and cream. Sprinkle gelatin over mixture and let stand 5 minutes. Add minced onion mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- Place ground beef and Italian sausage on a large cutting board or work surface. With clean hands, or a pastry mixer, mix the beef and sausage together, making sure no large chunks of sausage are left unmixed. It helps to chop both meats into small chunks before mixing. Don’t knead the meat for longer than 5 minutes, as it toughens the meat.
- Return low carb meatloaf mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the egg mixture and mix well. (Once the liquid is incorporated, you can turn the mixture out onto the work surface again, to make it easier to mix in dry ingredients.)
- Add the almond flour mixture. Mix until evenly blended and meat mixture is no longer sticky. (If mixture is still sticking, add additional shredded Parmesan, a tablespoon at a time until the meat no longer sticks.)
- Place raw meat mixture on a small cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Leave long ends of paper out over edge of short edges of the pan. Push the meat into a shallow slab shape. Cover the slab with the cream cheese mixture.
- Starting a one end, pull up the paper and fold over the meat so that you roll it up like a jelly roll, peeling off paper as you go.
- Seal both ends of the roll to keep the cheese mixture inside.
- Bake loaf until browned and an inserted cooking thermometer registers 160 degrees. Estimated cooking time is about 1 hour. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice meat loaf and serve.
Nutrition Info: Makes 12 servings, 7 ounces each. Each serving has 617 calories, 51 grams of fat, 31 grams of protein, 6 grams of carb, and 1 gram of fiber.
This low carb meatloaf recipe can be varied in many ways. Try adding minced fresh basil to the cream cheese mixture, or use muenster for the shredded cheese instead. It's all good!
Also, give my other low carb meatloaf recipe a try. It's lower in calories, and just as tasty.
Done with Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe, back to Low Carb Recipes
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!