Low Carb Snacks
These low carb snacks are helpful when the munchie bug strikes. Full of flavor, they are tasty enough to help you stick to a ketogenic diet even when you are short on time or plagued by cravings. You can probably come up with more according to your individual tastes.
- Spread a slice of ham, turkey, or salami with cream cheese or mayonnaise, add a slice of cheese, and roll it up by itself or in a lettuce leaf
- Wrap cooked bacon, tomato chunks, and mayonnaise or cream cheese in a lettuce leaf
- Cut cooked steak, pork, or chicken into small pieces and mix with mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, or avocado and wrap in lettuce leaf
- Deviled eggs (see recipe below) or hard-boiled eggs sliced and spread with mayonnaise or sour cream
- Smoked salmon slices spread with cream cheese mixed with dill and lemon juice
- Smoked salmon mixed with scrambled eggs and topped with cream cheese
- Crab meat mixed with cream cheese and lemon juice on cucumber slices
- Shrimp with minced onion, mayonnaise, and dried dill on cucumber slices
- Beef jerky cured without sugar (Organic Prairie brand is a good choice)
- Antipasto made from peppers, olives, prosciutto or salami,
and cheese cubes
- Tuna mixed with mayonnaise and cream cheese and piled on
- Olives stuffed with feta cheese
- Roasted or raw nuts
- Dill pickles with cheddar cheese
- Pork rinds dipped in a mixture of full-fat sour cream and
- Pork rinds dipped in ranch dressing or pesto sauce
- Jicama, radishes, or turnip sticks with full-fat sour-cream
dip or ranch dressing
- Baked chicken wings (no breading) and blue-cheese dip
- Celery stuffed with a cream cheese/blue-cheese mixture
- Celery stuffed with cream cheese mixed with curry or any
other spice you like
- Celery stuffed with almond butter
- Macadamia nuts fried in butter and sprinkled with cinnamon
- Pecans with thin slices of blue cheese
- Pecan halves sandwiched with a filling of cream cheese mixed with blue cheese
- Steamed or boiled shrimp with dill mayonnaise
- String cheese and pepperoni slices
- Cucumber and tomato chunks with feta cheese and balsamic
- Sliced radishes spread with cream cheese and sprinkled with
chives or spices
- Shrimp mixed with a low-carb Thai green-chili sauce and
sprinkled with cilantro
- Mix crispy cooked bacon and blue cheese with sour cream,
then add spices to taste (this makes a good dip for raw broccoli and
cauliflower or leftover cooked chicken)
- Mix ¼ cup of almond butter and a little heavy cream and
sweetener. Eat with carrot or celery sticks.
- Mix 2 ounces of cream cheese with 2 tablespoons heavy cream
and sweetener. Eat with carrot or celery sticks.
- Greek yogurt mixed with cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and low-carb sweetener
- Low-carb, sugar-free popsicles
- Pork rinds with salsa and avocado
- Pork rinds with basil pesto mixed with cream cheese or sour cream
- Slices of Muenster or Brie Cheese wrapped around a carrot stick
- Smoked salmon strips spread with cream cheese
- Boiled or steamed shrimp
- Half of a Haas avocado, half a medium tomato chunked and tossed with mayonnaise
- Two slices of tomato with 2 ounces of brie and dried basil
More Low Carb Snacks
Below are some of the recipes I use to make various low carb snacks. Deviled eggs in particular are somewhat time intensive to make, and sometimes I just make egg salad out of the yolks and whites instead.
Deviled Eggs (or Egg Salad)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dried dill for garnish
Move the cooked egg yolks to a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, onion, mustard, salt and pepper and mix until creamy and smooth. Fill the empty egg white shells with the mixture and sprinkle lightly with dill. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one day before serving.
Variation: instead of separating them, chop up the whole eggs and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix all together for egg salad.
Spiced Meat and Cheese Rolls
- Cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- Spices to taste
- Thinly sliced ham or turkey
Mix cream cheese with onion and spices. Dry the ham or turkey between paper towels. Spread each slice with a thin layer of cream cheese mixture. Roll the slice up like a jelly roll. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Refrigerate the completed rolls for several hours to harden cream cheese. Enjoy these whole, or cut across in sections and eat as appetizers.
For different flavors, you can also add finely minced shallots, dijon mustard, pecans or sweetener to the cream cheese before spreading it over the meats.
Celery filled with Flavored Cream Cheese
- Celery stalks
- Cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup minced onion and various spices
Wash and cut stalks of celery into 4 inch pieces. Fill with cream cheese mixture.
Variation: Leave out the onion and instead, mix the cream cheese with a 2 tablespoon of unsweetened peanut butter. You can also add a packet of splenda. Fill the celery with this mixture.
Take a sheet of baking parchment paper (Don't use wax paper, it won't work) and cut it to the size of your microwave turn table. Put the paper on the turn table and then add small piles (a little larger than a half dollar) of shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese, spacing them an inch apart. You can put a pile in the middle as well. Microwave for about 90-120 seconds. The piles will turn in crisp little cheese chips. This is one my favorite low carb snacks.
Low Carb Lemon Cheesecake Pudding
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4-5 packets of artificial sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
Put ingredients in mixing bowl and mix well with a hand blender. Spoon into 4 serving cups. Eat only one serving per day. I don't make this frequently because it's tough to just eat one. : )
So there you go, my best ideas for low carb snacks. There are lots more ideas on the web. For instance, the Diet Doctor website has some great recipes here.
Done with Low Carb Snacks, back to Low Carb Recipes