A List of High Carb Foods
Here's a list of high carb foods which should be avoided on a ketogenic diet:
- Sugars and sweetened foods: read labels and avoid any foods which contain brown sugar, powdered sugar, cane sugar, corn syrup, sorghum, honey, maple syrup, sucrose, maltose, fructose, glucose, lactose, and the sugar alchohols such as sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol and maltitol. If it tastes sweet, you should avoid it. This of course, rules out candy.
- All Grain and Grain Products (wheat, barley, rye, sorghum, tricale, teff, spelt, rice, etc..) and products made from grain flours: bread, waffles, pancakes, pasta, muffins, cold cereals, hot cereals, bread crumbs, tortillas, crackers, cookies, cakes, pies, pretzels, etc..
- Corn products, including cornbread, tamale wrappers, corn chips, grits, polenta, popcorn and cornmeal. Corn is in everything as high fructose corn syrup, or thickeners, or preservatives, so read the labels.
- Potatoes and other starchy tubers such as sweet potatoes and potato products such as hash browns, potato chips, tater tots, etc..
- Starchy vegetables, such as corn, sweet potatoes, lima beans, peas, okra, and artichokes.
- Canned soups and stews, as most canned products contain hidden starchy thickeners.
- Boxed processed foods, because most are high in wheat and sugar and are the worst high carb foods to eat because of the added preservatives and fillers.
- Fruit of any kind (dried, fresh, frozen): Fruit is high in carbs and fructose. Fructose, even from natural fruit, puts a serious metabolic load on your liver if eaten in large amounts. Berries are the lowest in carbohydrate, so if you have to have something sweet, you could eat 1 or 2 strawberries on a ketogenic diet, but the fructose might halt ketosis.
- Beans and lentils, which are high in starch.
- Beers, as they are made from grain (there are low carb beers, but since you only have so many carbs per day, you have to decide if you want to spend them on beer.)
- Dessert wines such as Icewine, Beerenauslese, Trockenbeerenauslese, Ruster Ausbruch, Moscato, Riesling. These are high in sugar.
- Non-diet sodas: Sweetened soda pop or soft drinks are probably the most damaging food product around. They contain large amounts of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is extremely damaging to your liver, plus all kinds of other chemicals not so good for you. And it's easy to consume many of them in one day.
- Juices made from fruit and vegetables. These are just the concentrated sugar of the original product.
- Milk, especially skim and 1%. Milk is full of lactose, a type of sugar. Fermented milk products like cheese and yogurt have less lactose because the bacteria used to ferment the milk eats up all the lactose during the fermentation process.
Done with High Carb Foods, Back to Reactive Hypoglycemia
Books with More Food Lists
Carb Counter Books