The Best Way to Lose Weight
Here's a step-by-step plan for the best way to lose weight, now that you know why a ketogenic diet is the best weight loss program.
- Get the supplies, books, foods and anything else you need and begin the diet using the steps and tips in my Ketogenic Diet Plan.
- After the first month, implement a high intensity interval training exercise program, at your speed. If walking really fast is high intensity for you, do that once or twice a week. Most importantly, begin a high intensity weight training program once a week, like the one in Doug McGuff's Body by Science program or Fred Hahn's The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution. The purpose of this is to increase muscle insulin sensitivity and build muscle mass, which will translate into a higher metabolic rate, lower insulin levels, and more fat burning.
- Set up an accountability system. Find someone who will be an independent measure of your weight loss. It helps to stay with the plan, if you know you have to admit your indiscretions to someone important. And holding yourself accountable is important too.
- Be consistent, and don't cheat. It takes time for the body to build the enzymes it needs to burn fat instead of glucose. In addition, it takes 3-4 days to get into the fat burning mode of ketosis. Once you are in ketosis, it only takes one cheat day to stop the fat burning, ketotic process, and you'll have to start over. So don't start a ketogenic diet plan just before some major food holiday, like Thanksgiving or Christmas, unless you are sure you can weather the pressure to eat sweets and starches.
- Be patient. Even the best way to lose weight won't work if you don't give it time. And here's a tip: don't weigh yourself every day. Your weight can vary between 2-4 pounds each day because of changes in water intake and absorption. You won't be able to track any fat loss accurately on a daily basis, and the fluctuations will make you crazy and discouraged if you focus on them. Instead, weigh yourself once a week, or keep track of your body measurements to track your progress.
- Track your progress with either a written or electronic journal. Measure and write down what you eat, at least for the first month or so. I use a software program called Fitday to track calories, fat, carbs and protein intake. It's a great program because I can add custom foods to it, and track those accurately as well. For instance, if I make a low carb casserole, I can put the ingredients and servings into Fitday and then when I add one serving to my daily totals, it accurately calculates the actual calories, carbs, fat and protein amounts.
- If you stop losing weight, or your weight yo-yos (you lose 2 pounds on week, then gain back a pound the next week) see my weight loss plateau page for ideas on what to do.
I truly believe that following a ketogenic, low carb diet is the not only the best way to lose weight, but it's the best way to get as healty as possible.
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!
Done with Best Way to Lose Weight, back to Best Weight Loss Program