Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup
This Chicken Fajita soup is really a thick, creamy stew. I was craving Mexican comfort food and needed to use a deboned Sam's Club Roasted Chicken in the freezer. I went on an internet search for ideas and found a recipe for a Chicken Fajita casserole over at Papa G's Youtube channel that sounded good. I made some changes and came up with a creamy soup that hit the spot. Yum!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced medium
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced medium
- 1 ½ cups medium diced white onion
- 8 ounces of cherry tomatoes, seeded
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 30 ounces cooked chicken, chopped
- 16 ozs Monterey or Colby jack cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons BTB roasted chicken boullion paste*
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1 serving fajita seasoning (see at right)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoked salt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (Makes one serving)
spices for fajita seasoning first. Set aside.
a medium skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil and butter until softened,
adding garlic at the end and cooking for one more minute. Set aside.
a glass measuring cup, mix the water and bouillon paste to make stock (or use packaged
the stock into a large sauce pan.
the xanthum gum over the chicken stock. Use an emersion blender to mix,
whisking until frothy and no lumps can be seen.
Add the cream and whisk to mix.
the pan over medium heat and cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
burner to low. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few
moments. Add cream cheese and sour cream and whisk to mix.
sauce pan back on low burner. Add the chicken, pepper mixture, the cheese and
fajita seasoning. Stir to mix .
the mixture simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
*Better Than Boullion brand (or use packaged chicken stock).
Nutrition for Chicken Fajita Soup
Makes twelve 7-ounce servings.
Per serving: 357
calories / 23g fat / 8g carbs / 2g fiber / 6 net carbs / 30g protein
Based on Papa Gs recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlht_OOFz-k
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!