Chicken Liver Pate
Chicken liver pate and indeed just about any pate is perfect for a ketogenic diet. Pates are high in fat, moderate in protein, and have a low carb count. They are also high in vitamin A, CoQ10 and other good-for- you nutrients. Here's my recipe for pate!
Ellen’s Chicken Liver Pate
Brie, chicken liver pate, and salmon
- 1 lb. organic chicken livers, cleaned of tough bits with a
- 1 medium, onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) of butter
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (Suggestion: Sage, Thyme etc.)
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Grease a small loaf pan and line it with plastic wrap with
the edges of the wrap hanging over the rims of the pan by several inches.
- Place chicken livers, onion and 1 stick of butter in a
medium skillet. Cook gently until livers
are barely pink in the inside middle and the onion is translucent and
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for a few
- Add the mixture to a food processor and blend livers and
onion until you have a uniform, smooth paste.
Add the mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
Mix well, tasting and adjusting spices as needed.
- Spoon the liver mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top
so it is very flat. Melt the remaining butter in a small sauce pan and then let
it sit so the milk solids settle. Skim off the froth so that you can spoon out
- Cover the pate by spooning enough clarified butter over it
to seal it from the air. Cover the top of the loaf pan with foil and chill for
several hours or overnight.
- Once the pate is cold and set, turn it out onto a serving
dish and peel off plastic wrap.
This recipe serves 6 and is a great addition to a party food menu. Normally, pate is served with crackers or bread, and this is really good with the low carb recipes for almond flour crackers and mozzarella dough breads that are so common now on the internet.
If you don't want to go through the bother of making your own pate, I highly recommend you check out Schaller and Weber's products. Their Gold Pate is one of my favorites, and you can order it online.
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!