Buttery Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
Here's a homemade mayonnaise recipe made with butter. It's an unusual idea, and I developed it to try and avoid eating too much soybean oil, which is found in most commercial mayonnaise products.
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
Yield: About 1 cup
- 2 egg yolks, preferably organic from pastured chickens
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup melted butter in a glass measuring cup
- 3/4 cup nut or olive oil (macadamia, light olive, or walnut oil work well)
- Combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process for a few seconds to mix.
- Have the butter melted to a liquid, but not super hot. Mix in the oil.
- With the machine running, slowly add the melted butter/oil mixture to the yolk mixture a tiny bit at a time, until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes.
- If the mayonnaise gets too thick, just blend in 1 teaspoon of boiling water to thin it.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
This will get thick once cooled in the refrigerator. This happens because of the saturated fat in the butter. To soften it, put the bowl in the microwave for no more than 5-10 seconds. Any more time, and you will curdle the egg yolks and ruin your nice silky mayonnaise.
This recipe can be stored, and will keep for about 10 days in the refrigerator. I like to store mine in a small glass bowl with a plastic lid.
Uses: This buttery mayonnaise is great for making all kinds of minced meat salads. It's especially good mixed with chopped shrimp or chicken for a quick, cool lunch on the run.
- Use it as a base for various sauces. For example, mix about 4 tablespoons of this mayonnaise with about 1/2 teaspoon of dill and a little cream, and spoon it over cold or warm baked salmon.
- Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of horseradish and a little ketchup, and you've got a great remoulade type sauce for shrimp.
- Warm it a little, then mix it with sour cream and heavy cream and add spices such as thyme, garlic and tarragon for a great salad dressing.
- Mix it with shredded Parmesan cheese and a little more lemon juice and spread it on baked fish, then put back in the over under the broiler for 2-4 minutes.
This homemade mayonnaise recipe is a great base for lots of variations, so experiment and come up with your own.
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!
Done with Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe, back to Low Carb Recipes