Keto Crab Cakes
This recipe for Keto Crab Cakes is full of flavor and versatile too. I've used it to stuff mushrooms and fish filets, and spread it into a baking dish for a quick crab cake casserole. The cakes fry up nice and crisp in oil, and they are also great right out of the air fryer.
This recipe is adapted from Papa G's crab cake recipe.
Ellen's Keto Crab Cakes
- 2 -1/2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces crab meat (I like Phillips brand)
- 5 ounces regular mayonnaise
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimento
- 1-1/4 cups ground pork rinds
- In a small bowl, combine the spices and set aside.
- Place the crab meat in a large mixing bowl and break it up with a fork.
- Add the mayonnaise, cream cheese, eggs, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and mix well with a rubber spatula.
- Add the green onion and pimento and mix well.
- Add the pork rinds and mix with spatula, making sure the rinds are fully mixed in.
- Have a large plate ready, and using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop out about 14 portions, rolling each into a ball and then flattening into a patty. Place the patties on the plate in preparation for cooking. (If you want bigger patties, use a 1/2 cup scoop.)
If you like a crispy exterior on your crab cake, use one of the following methods to cook these keto crab cakes:
- Measure out 4 tablespoons Avocado oil and 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the avocado oil and butter in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, place 4 or 5 patties in the oil, being careful not to crowd them. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, checking to see if they are brown and crispy before turning them over with a spatula.
- Once cooked, remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel. Serve hot with tarter sauce or a lemon garlic remoulade sauce.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees and set the cooking time for 10 minutes.
- When the air fryer is ready, place 4 crab cakes in the basket, leaving room to turn them over.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then turn them over and let them cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot with with tarter sauce or a lemon garlic remoulade sauce.
Other Cooking Methods
Lay the patties on a greased baking sheet and bake them for about 15-20 minutes. They won't be as crispy, but still delish.
Sometimes I'm just too tired or too lazy to make a bunch of patties. Instead, I butter a small casserole dish, and spread the crab cake mixture into it. Bake it at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until it is golden brown on the edges.
This mixture is great for stuffing fish fillets or mushroom caps as well.
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!