Mini Keto Pizza Crust
I've tried so many different keto pizza crust recipes. The mozzarella based ones are the best to me, but I've also tried the cauliflower ones, and the almond-oat flour based crusts from Jennifer Eloff and the Low Carbing with Friends authors. I had been thinking about combining the best of all of these pizza crust styles and made this mini-crust as a result. It's tastes pretty good, and it was stiff enough to be eaten without a fork. You can get Bob's Red Mill Oat flour online, and as Jennifer writes, it makes a difference and doesn't add many carbs.
Mini Keto Pizza Crust
|Ready for the oven
|Ready for toppings
- 80 g shredded 2% or part-skim mozzarella
- 60 g shredded hard Parmesan (not the dry grated kind)
- 60 g cream
- 40 g of butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free oat
flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup almond
flour (plus more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon pizza
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- Pizza sauce, heated and spiced to your preference
- Shredded mozzarella and parmesan
- Other toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper to fit the inside of the rim. Trim off any excess that flops over sides.
- In a glass bowl, combine the cheeses and
butter and microwave until cheeses start to melt. This takes about a minute in a large microwave. Be careful not to overcook the mixture.
- Stir and fold/smash to mix well. Add in the flours, spices and continue to fold and smear the mixture together to create a uniform mixture.
- Add the egg to the mixture and cut it into the mixture, using the same fold and smash/smear motion with the spatula. Keep folding and mixing until
you have created a uniform dough.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow the moisture to be absorbed. If it stills seems sticky, add a tablespoon of almond flour and mix it in. Repeat until it no longer seems sticky.
- Divide dough into
thirds and on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, press each dough part
into a mini-pizza crust, about 1/4 inch thick. Use the spatula to push the edges in to make a short "wall" around each crust.
- Bake the crust at for about 11-12 minutes, watch it closely toward the end. It should start to turn golden brown.
- The cooked crust can be refrigerated or frozen until you are ready to make pizza.
- If you are ready to make pizza immediately, take the pan out of the oven, and switch the setting to Low Broil. Add the sauce and toppings to the crust, and return the pan to the oven for about 5 -7 minutes, or until the cheese starts to turn golden on the edges.
Making Pizza Later...
To make pizza later from a keto pizza crust, you can put all the toppings on just out of the oven and then put it in the fridge. Or you can add the toppings later. This will work better if all ingredients are at room temp and you warm up the sauce.
- If it's cold, warm up the crust in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Set the oven to medium broil setting.
- Spoon on warm pizza sauce and smooth it to edge of crust .
- Add room temperature shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese to cover the sauce.
- Add pepperoni and/or other toppings on top of the cheese.
- Broil 4 inches from the heating element 10 minutes more, watching it closely, as the broiler could potentially set the parchment paper on fire.
Nutrition for the crust:
- Entire recipe: 1404 calories | 117 g fat | 67 g protein | 29 g carb | 7 g fiber | 22 g net carb
- One crust (1/3 recipe): 468 calories | 39 g fat | 22 g protein | 10 g carb | 2 g fiber | 8 g net carb
Hope you enjoy this mini keto pizza crust recipe. One of these is a perfect dinner size for one person. Actually, I made myself a mini-pizza for breakfast this morning. : )
All of my books are available in electronic PDF, and now in paperback on Amazon!